1. Greetings from the land of the Polar Vortex. I’m still not sure I understand what the Vortex is, but let me tell you – it’s cold! On Tuesday we had over a foot of snow, and today walking into work I almost froze (it was about 8 degrees, not counting any wind chill). I had a major first this week – hiring someone to shovel our snow, since C was out of town in 80 degree LA. Money well spent. It’s not supposed to go significantly above freezing for at least the next week.
2. I went with a few cousins last night to see the Philadelphia Orchestra, and it may have been one of my favorite orchestra performances that I’ve ever attended. It was a great program:
Rimsky-Korsakov – “Battle of Kerzhenets,” from The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh
Tchaikovsky – Violin Concerto
Musorgsky – Pictures from an Exhibition
The Concerto was amazing, but I think the three of us loved the Musorgsky best of all. In any case, a definite highlight of the week (and the rush tickets were only $10!)
3. C was gone for a week (first camping in the desert and then working with a colleague in Pasadena). It was plenty long for him to be gone, but I had a great time seeing lots of friends while he was away. On the Monday holiday, I took a drive up to Bethlehem (“the Christmas City”) to see an old friend. We had a great time – Bethlehem is quite lovely with a dusting of snow. I even came home with a Moravian star of my very own!
4. Last week (before he left town), C was miraculously excused from jury duty! You can guess how he felt about that.
5. I have never been a house plant person, until recently. But I’m a total convert (at least for now). Since we moved out East, I find that I really miss the green in the winter. And, house plants are a pretty reasonable way of decorating on the cheap (which I feel is the only sort of decorating that makes sense in our current place, since we’re hoping to buy a house of our own in the not-too-distant future).
To date, I’ve had decent luck with succulents and cacti so long as I don’t over-water them (which takes some doing), but I realize that I’m really pushing my luck with the small fig tree that I picked up on a whim at Ikea last weekend. I’m not sure if we have enough light, but I can’t get enough of the big green leaves in the corner of our living room!