If you’ll recall, when we moved to Cambridge, we gave the dining room chairs in our apartment a little facelift.
Upon moving to Philly, we had to get all new furniture (our previous apartment came furnished, so everything stayed there). This was quite an undertaking (a fun one, but also one that took lots of time and work…and money).
While my parents were visiting in late July, we found a steal of a dining room table at the Restoration Hardware outlet – but we weren’t quite sure what to do about the chairs. We had placeholder chairs that worked for awhile, but they weren’t a good long-term solution. The greyish stain on the table also made it a little hard to match chairs that had any sort of natural wood stain. When I found a set of bentwood chairs (2 sets actually – a set of 2 and a set of 4) at bargain-basement prices, I was torn. I really love the shape and look of bentwoods, but they just didn’t match well with the table.
Around the same time, I saw a few photos that made me think I could go ahead and paint the chairs whatever color I desired. I wasn’t (and am still not) working, so I had the time on my hands, and I decided to go for it!
I chose a mint green paint color that I am still really happy with (although I think a royal blue could have been fun, too).
Here’s the before:
And the after (like I said, there were actually two styles of chairs. We have four of the one with the white seat, and 2 that have a wood seat – with pink Ikea cushions):
The full dining room (from the stairs):
And from the other direction (note the beautiful side table – a gift from my dad):
All in all, I am happy with the result, although I will say that this was a more involved “facelift” than the one we did in Cambridge. Sanding and then priming and then painting and then sealing takes a LOT of time. I had the time, but some days it was a little hard to motivate to head down to the basement and paint…and paint, and paint. The project would have been a MUCH easier one if we had outdoor space and I could have used a sprayer. But it was A LOT cheaper than buying new chairs.
I did three of them in September, and then lost motivation for awhile – but made a goal of finishing them all before we left for Christmas. I made it (barely) and REALLY enjoyed coming home after the holidays to a table with a full set of chairs around it!