Yesterday was the first anniversary of our first Patriot’s Day in Boston. Unlike last year, when I had to wear a fleece while cheering on the runners on Marathon Monday, temperatures soared to record-breaking levels yesterday – in some parts of the course, up to 89 degrees. The heat just made it feel like a summer day for us spectators, but it was far less pleasant for the marathoners. Still, they ran. And we cheered.
Spring Cleaning April 15, 2012
We are not really on schedule for spring cleaning this year – it’s been a hectic few months. But we try to keep the house somewhat picked up these days, because at any point the landlord could show it to potential future tenants. I’ve also (very slowly) started going through closets and bookshelves, picking out clothing that has gone unworn for these two years (probably a good sign that it should go), or for books that for some reason or another I’ve decided we don’t really need to hang onto.
But anyway, in honor of National Poetry Month, a poem on the subject:
When I take the chilly tools
from the shed’s darkness, I come
out to a world made new
by heat and light.
The snake basks and dozes
on a large flat stone.
It reared and scolded me
for raking too close to its hole.
Like a mad red brain
the involute rhubarb leaf
thinks its way up
Five on Friday (“PH” edition) April 13, 2012
- We’re moving – to PHiladelphia! It’s official – C accepted a faculty position at a great university there, and so in late June we’ll be packing up our things and moving down the Atlantic Coast several hundred miles.
- Last weekend, we were in California for a dear friend’s wedding (and got to catch up with family and friends to boot). What fun! Also, we got our fill of PHilz Coffee (and tea) – basically, some of the most tasty stuff around. I am hoping that they open up a Philly location soon (but I have a feeling that I shouldn’t count on it)
- I (K) turned 31 on Monday – crazy! Good friends joined us to celebrate over pizza in Larkspur.
- Post-CA, I have a very yucky sore throat – so last night instead of the gym, we had PHo (I know that chicken soup is what you’re supposed to have, but I prefer beef)
- After a “long” 3-day work week, we’re now embarking on a 3-day weekend – only in Boston, for Patriot’s Day/Boston Marathon. Looking forward to cheering on the runners on Monday!