- It’s a good thing the Olympics is almost over…it’s time for us to return to our regularly scheduled sleep! Some 2010 Olympic favorite moments: mostly, the falls (as always); short-track speed skating; downhill skiing; making fun of the ice-dancing costumes and the color commentators
- Last week, I decided that it was time to inventory our cupboards/pantry and start using up all the random food stuffs we have (lots and lots of cans, noodles, cake mixes, etc.) Our pantry-clearing recipe from this week was from the recipe book that C’s mom gave me for Christmas – layered chicken enchiladas (which I think might also be called King Ranch casserole, if the internet is right). We got rid of cans of cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, and green chiles, and also used up some frozen tortillas, frozen chicken breasts and some random chicken bullion cubes that were hiding out in our spice drawer. It was a great (and easy) meal – two thumbs up! That same night, we had some leftover tangerine juice (and I noticed that the ice cream maker drum was hiding out in the freezer) so we made this tangerine prosecco sorbet. Yum!
- We’ve both been running a bit, and have decided to run a 10K before we leave California…we’re aiming for one on April 11 in Pescadero. I think it will be a breeze for C, since his runs are longer than mine – but I’m a little nervous about whether I can make it…on Wednesday, I ran 4.5 miles and was SO SORE that night, and I have to basically add another TWO WHOLE MILES for a 10K. We’ll see!
- On the topic of “before we leave California,” we’ve both been feeling a little overwhelmed this week about the next few months. The reality that we only have just over 3 months left has hit, and we’re very sad to leave. Plus, there are a lot of details to take care of (moving, where we’ll live in Boston, etc.), lots of work to be done (C needs to finish his dissertation!)…and, lots of things that we would like to do and people we would like to spend time with. We”ll miss this guy who hangs out on the lawn outside our apartment every so often:
- We just started studying Isaiah II (starting at Chapter 40) in our community group. I am so excited – and encouraged, and challenged. Here’s a little taste:
Comfort, comfort my people, says your God.
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her
that her hard service has been completed, that her sin has been paid for,
that she has received from the LORD’s hand double for all her sins.
A voice of one calling: ‘In the desert prepare the way for the LORD;
make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.
Ever valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain.
And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it.
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.’ Isaiah 40: 1-5
- When we were first dating, Subway was running a special that was something along the lines of “2 six-inch sandwiches and 2 sodas for $8.99.” C used to always joke that he should take me there on a date (ever the scrooge…I mean, economical one). But he never did, and the special ended (I think). However, now that we’re watching TV (thank you, Winter Olympics!) we became aware of a new Subway special: “Five Dollar Footlong” (sorry I can’t insert the actual jingle…but you’ve probably heard it if you ever watch TV). So last night, we finally went out for our much-talked-about Subway date. It was a lot of fun, and only $2.50/person – hard to beat that!